Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Come As You Are

We've all had that feeling on the first day (whether it be in work, school, or whatever else) when you are in a place with other individuals that you have never really encountered before. What should you do? What should you say if you were forced to have an encounter with one of these individuals? What if an individual encountered you first? Should you try to engage in a good exchange, or should you cut it short? This is the fastest paranoia one person experiences everyday.

I believe it is safe to say we have experienced others who have made a fool of themselves due to lack of realism in their "presenting self." Sometimes, people don't really show their true selves in average exchanges. It's more like putting on a mask to hide who they really are. There are many factors in why people are more defensive and less around people they do not know. All that shyness and possibly prejudices come to mind with "strangers," which creates a barrier for effective communication to take place.

I understand that some people tend to go to work or school to "get it over with," but why not have fun with work or school a bit? Doesn't having fun help time go by much faster? Never know, you may even get the job done better when you are in the right mood.

This blog is targeted more towards my classmates in my Media Writing class, but this can be applied to all forms of social groups. We have fifteen or so weeks together in this class, so why not make the most of it and have fun with it? Let's take off our masks and throw them away. Let's be who we are and enjoy the realism of who we are. I've had good classroom experiences in the past in which everybody seemed to be chill with everybody else. From the vibe I got from you all, I can tell we can get along just fine and be as one.

Hope to be in contact with you all. Don't be shy now. :)

16 comments:

  1. I get good vibes from this crew too.

    Have Nirvana's tune running through my head now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you think. I feel the same way about work and school. If you are going to be there enjoy it and if you're not going to, why go?

    I myself do have trouble taking of my "mask" I tend to be more quiet and don't open up until I get to know people more. Few more weeks and I'm hoping that my "mask" will fall right off in media writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that awkward exchanges suck. I had a boss that you could just not talk to, and at the end of every conversation it was like "so is the conversation done now?" Ugh. It made for an weird work environment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's right. You also gotta do what you love. You'll be successful if you put hard work and believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree. I hate awkward silences, especially on first days. I am excited to get to know everyone better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. From being in our "Interpersonal Communications" class I can definitely relate to what you're saying...I'm guilty of it too, but perhaps pursuing this major will help me get over that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! It's easy to get worked up over nothing when you're over-thinking it. There's just a point in life when you realize life's more easy and fun when you show your true colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. Being our natural selves would be a better choice than to be all wound up tight. I hope everyone has a great time and drops any fears in favor of creativity and just being naturally themselves. Great call Andres!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree! It is much easier to be who you are than deal with masks...when you pretend to be someone else, you usually end up looking like a fool anyway!

    I'm also glad that our extracurriculars are starting up and our clubs are growing too...it's a nice way to make friends and relieve some stress :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too concur. But masks could be protecting others too, I could be some super gnarley serial killer waiting for you all to open up!This is a really good post, I'm quite impressed. and I couldn't help noticing that you posted this at 6:18am, which beggs the question; What were you doing up so damn early?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely agree about the awkward moments on the first day of school and/or work, but I always try to make the best of it! You never know when you may meet your next best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you...I get good vibes from this class as well, its just gonna take some time for people to get comfortable with each other. Most students are like that during their first couple of weeks of shared class, but I think we can break the barrier with the work we are assigned to do each week.

    ReplyDelete